Thursday, March 11, 2010

Out with the old...

Who knew that in a lifetime you could acquire 36 extension cords, 5 incomplete decks of cards, 4 broken VCR players, 3 dead tv's, and half dozen unmatched socks? The stuff that hides in the dark corners of our closests is SCARY! My question is not whether or not it is normal to acquire such things...but why did I feel the need to keep them? Seriously, at some point in my life I looked at that half-chewed piece of hubba-bubba and thought "I'll keep that for later" and chucked it in the back of a drawer. Gross. Anyway, in preparation for our big journey we cleaned out every closet, drawer and envelope. I am proud to report that my husband has finally let go of his tax returns from 1995 (that's the year I graduated highschool, for those of you who are keeping track) and my treasured James Taylor cd collection has thinned itself out (moment of silence please). Several trips to a storage unit, snake eggs, and one mother of a garage sale later we have gotten rid of everything that we won't be taking with us. Ahhhhhh, freedom. When I dropped that last load off at a local charity I felt such a huge weight lift. I never really stopped to think that the stuff I had acquired was weighing my down, but it was. And I feel cleansed. I think I could get rid of just about anything at this point. My husband is cautiously guarding his Gator memorabilia from my disposal addiction. I'd love to post a picture, but I seem to have thrown out the cord connecting my camera to the computer, opps.

5 comments:

  1. I love that feeling of getting rid of everything that has seemingly grown into the foundation of the house- ha ha! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a little bit jealous. I dream of getting rid of the 'stuff" which clutters our lives. Blessings to the noMadisons adventure.
    Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't quite know which is more embarrassing: at 32 my grandfather is correcting my grammar,or that my own mother doesn't know how to spell my name. Any votes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'm just impressed that you only had half a dozen unmatched socks! I have a massive pile that grows weekly. Thank you- you've inspired me to get rid of some of my junk today! Good luck on your trip! I can't wait to see where you're headed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You rock, girlfriend. When you write the book, I'll be your editor :)

    ReplyDelete